It is a niramish (pure vegetarian) Bengali dish which is made with taro root and spices. It is a very popular dish among vegetarian. It is also a common household dish and is its preparation cost is very less. It is quick and simple recipe which can be served with rice as well as roti also. It is not only healthy, but delicious also.
Taro root is a good source of fiber, vitamins and minerals. It is a starchy vegetable which helps to control blood sugar. It is beneficial for heart disease and helps in reducing body weight.
Time required:-30 min. (approx.)
Course: – Lunch/Dinner
Can be served with: – Hot steamed rice and roti also.
• Taro root – 250gm • Turmeric powder – 1tsp • Red chili powder – 1tsp • Cumin powder – 1tsp • Garam masala – 1/2tsp • Panch foron – ½tsp • Salt and sugar – as per taste • Vegetable oil – 02tbsp
Direction for the recipe:-
1.Remove the skin of taro root and Cut them in halves. Boil them in a pressure cook. Add pinch of salt in the water and give 4-5 whistle. Drain them from the cooker and set aside.
2. Slit the green chilies in length wise.
3. Heat oil in a kadai / pan. When smoke starts coming from the oil, add the panch foron and green chilies and sauté till they splutter.
4. Add the boiled taro root in low heat.
5. Add turmeric powder and salt and stir for 2-3min so that it doesn’t get stick to the pan.
6. Then add cumin powder, chili powder, sugar and mix them well so that the masala gets uniformly coated on the surface of taro root. Cook thoroughly for 5-6min.
7. Add little water and stir. Let it boil for 7-8min.
8. Turn off the heat and lastly add garam masala. Cover it for 1min.
9. Remove the cover. Your hot and delicious “Gathi kochu r dalna” is ready.