KUMARTULI… A must visit place in KOLKATA…where clay is transformed into idol..
September 20, 2021
A must visit place in KOLKATA…
Kumartuli or Kumortuli, is the essence of Kolkata. It is the dwelling place of potters where clay idols are made for various festivals. Many idols are exported to overseas also. It is a unique potter’s colony in the northern part of the city. It is located in between Beniatola (Ahiritola) and Shobhabazar.
Kumartuli Durga pujo is very famous and one of the oldest puja in Kolkata. The process of idol making is very intricate and laborious. They made these idols within the lanes of this locality. Visitors can roam here and enjoy the work of these artisans. River Ganga is just 5mins from Kumartuli. This is a magnificent place and paradise for photographers.
There are women artisans also who take active participation in idol making. The frenzy artisans, helpers and laborers, are always busy most of the time for making idols. Around 360 artisans work in roughly 120 studios, who receive orders of crores rupees for making Maa Durga idol.
The size of the idol varies depending upon the design. If you want to know the culture and heritage of the city, then you must visit Kumartuli before Durga Puja. You will feel the vibrancy of the festival. Don’t forget to taste the famous Rasogolla of Nabin Chandra Dass sweet shop.
How to reach Kumartuli?
Bus: Kumartuli is well connected by bus services. If you are travelling by bus, then get off at Lal Mandir or Rajballavpur Bus Stops from where it’s a five-minute walk to Kumartuli.
Metro: Shobhabazar Metro Station is the nearest metro from Kumartuli. It is walking distance from metro station.
Train: The closest railway station is Bagbazar .
Ferry: If you coming from Howrah, take a ferry of Bagbazar Ferry Ghat or Shobhabazar Ahiritola Ferry Ghat. Kumartuli is only a few minutes away from both of these places.
Nearby places to visit –
1. Bagbazaar Ghat – These Ghat is close to Kumartuli. These Ghats are widely used for idol immersion during the festive season.
2. Nabin Chandra Dass – Don’t forget to taste the famous Rasogolla of Nabin Chandra Dass sweet shop. This is one of the famous sweet shop of Kolkata.
3. College Street- The famous college street can also be visited from here. This place is famous for thousands of bookstalls, Coffee house etc.
4. Burabazar – This means ‘big market’ which can also be visited from Kumartuli. Burrabazar is one of the largest wholesale markets in Asia.
5. Shobhabazar Rajbari (Shobhabazar Royal Palace) – This is another nearby attraction which is very famous. Maharaja Nabakrishna Deb built this Rajbari at Shobhabazar. Shobha bazaar Rajbari’s Durga puja is world famous. There Sindur khela in Dashami is very remarkable.
So, this is a must visit place of Kolkata. Whenever you are planning to visit city of joy, do visit Kumartuli..