This is an authentic delicious Bengali dish usually prepared in summer. In Bengal, fish has ceased to be just a food item and has become part of their culture. It is a very common household dish prepared with very few spices.
Ingredients Bata / Charapona fish – 5pcs Potato -2nos Eggplant – 1 no (small) Patol /Pointed Gourd- 6pcs Ginger- 1/2tsp paste Jeera – 1/2tsp paste Mouri/Fennel seed- 1/2tsp paste Green chilies- 1/2tsp paste Coriander powder – 1 tsp Turmeric powder – 1 tbsp Salt – as per taste Mustard oil- 3tbsp Water – 4 cups
1. Wash the fish properly and marinate them with salt and turmeric powder and keep it for 10 mins.
2. Peel off the vegetables and cut them length wise.
3. Make a paste of green chilies, jeera, and ginger and mouri/fennel seeds.
4. Heat oil in a pan. Fry the marinated fish till they turn golden.
5. Take out the fish from the pan.
6. In the same pan, add jeera. Then add the veggies.
7. Fry them for 2-3mins. Add the paste and coriander powder. Mix them well.
8. Add water. Cover the pan and let it cook for 10 mins until the veggies become soft.
9. Now add the fried fish in the pan and cook it for 2 more mins.