“Puti mac her jhol / Barb fish with potato” .. a authentic Bengali dish
June 13, 2020
Puti maach are tiny fish which are loved by Bengali’s. It is very famous household dish. They not only taste delicious, but healthy too. Our grandparents used to tell us that tiny fish are very good for our memory and eyes.
Benefits:- Puti maach is a good source omega 3, protein and calcium. They boost in the development of brain and for good eye sight.
Time required:-30 min. (approx.)
Course: – Lunch/Dinner
Can be served with: – Hot steamed rice.
Puti maach – 250gm Potato – 1-2 Green chilies – 2 Turmeric powder – 1tsp Cumin powder – 1tsp Onion – 01 medium size (finely chopped) Black nigella seed – ½tsp Salt – as per taste Mustard oil – 02tbsp Water
Direction for the recipe:-
1.Wash the fish thoroughly by rubbing them in rough surface. After cleaning and washing, marinate them with salt and turmeric powder.
2. Slit the green chilies in length wise and finely chopped the onion. Peel off the potatoes and cut them in pieces as is done for making alu bhaja or French fry.
3. Heat oil in a kadai / pan. When smoke starts coming from the oil, add the Fish and fry them until they turn golden. Drain them and keep them aside.
4. In the same kadai, add black nigella seed and green chilies and sauté till they splutter.
4. Then add the chopped potatoes and onion. Sprinkle turmeric powder and salt and fry it for 2-3min.
5. Then add cumin powder, chili powder and mix them well. Cook thoroughly for 5-6min.
7. Add little water and stir. Let it boil for 7-8min.
8. Lastly add the fried fish and cook for 4-5min more.
9. Turn off the heat and serve it hot.
This recipe can also be prepared with morola fish.
For sugar patient, avoid adding potato in the dish.